Section 1 Comprehension Questions
- Who is the narrator in this story? From what point-of-view is the story told by the narrator? Describe him?
- Who are the Socs? Who are the greasers?
- How do Ponyís relationships with Sodapop and Darrel differ?
- Ponyboy tells us that Darrel grew up too fast and that Sodapop has never grown up at all. He concludes: "I donít know which wayís the best. Iíll find out one of these days." From this, what would you suppose this novel is going to be about?
- Are the names Ponyboy and Sodapop nicknames? Explain.
- On several pages, Pony tells Cherry about what happened to Johnny. What is the name of the literary device used to tell the story. Write a brief summary of the event.
- What does Cherry tell Ponyboy about the Socs that he has a hard time believing?
- What does Cherry explain is the real difference between the Socs and the greasers?
- What does Ponyboy mean when he says, "Johnny and I understood each other without saying anything." Have you ever had a relationship wih someone who you understood, and who understood you, without having to say anything?
- What is foreshadowed by the last paragraph in this chapter?
Click here for a printable version of this page.